Friday, September 14, 2012

Pinned It, Made It! Honey Lavender Cake and Caramel Budinos

It's been awhile since I've shared any Pinned It, Made Its. So even though it's not Monday, I need to take advantage of this blogging mood! These recipes I actually made over summer when Kelly was here visiting. One was fabulous; one was a little odd.
Let's start with the fabulous!
Caramel Budino with Salted Caramel Sauce
Okay, this was un-be-lieve-able!!! I love nearly all things custard or pudding, but this particular recipe was in a class of its own. The caramel budino (which is Italian for pudding) was so creamy and warm and buttery and flavorful. It calls for rum, and I'm pretty sure that is what sets it apart. I used my usual salted caramel recipe for the topping because I have it down and it's great. The cookie crumbs are made from store-bought chocolate wafers.  Make this for a dinner party, and you'll be everyone's hero.
I'm not going to reprint the whole recipe, but here's just the budino part, to give you an idea of its greatness.

--3 cups whole milk, divided
--1/4 cup cornstarch
--3/4 cup dark brown sugar
--5 eggs
--3 T unsalted butter
--2 t dark rum
--1 t kosher salt

Whisk 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside. Heat remaining 2 1/2 cups milk in a small saucepan just to simmer; set aside. To make caramel, stir sugar and 3/4 cup water in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; cook without stirring until thermometer registers 210 - 220 degrees.

Line a sieve with a double layer of cheesecloth (or papertowels) and set over a large pitcher. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk, then cornstarch mixture. Slowly whisk in caramel. Return mixture to saucepan. Whisk constantly over med heat until mixture thickens and registers 175 degrees, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in butter, rum, and salt. Pour through sieve.

This gets place on top of salted and buttered cookie crumbs with a layer of thick salted caramel and a fresh whipped cream placed on top. More cookie crumbles finishes this off!

And now for the odd:
I tried this for three reasons: First, the photograph was beautiful. Second, I love lavender. Third, I've always wanted to know what lavender would taste like in a recipe. I've seen people put it in cupcakes, and I wondered if it was any good.

Well, friends, as much as I love lavender, I do not love it in my food. It tastes exactly as one would think lavender would taste! I even halved what the recipe called for and still had to choke down the bitterness. And yes, if you're wondering, I did use the correct culinary lavender. It didn't matter. The cake was all right, much like a sponge cake, but I figured if I was going for a good sponge cake, I would find a better recipe. It was easy enough, though, which the caramel budino was not.

Nonetheless, here's my "Made It," which I was proud of because it looked fairly similar to the original. That's always fun!
Have a Pinned It, Made It to share? Please link up! Make the pinned item the title and the url the link back to your post. Be sure and grab the button!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Those look incredible.
    I don't know Candace, I think you need to have the kitchen inspectors come to your house, because I would be first in line to order a case of your caramel sauce!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little love! (It makes my day!)