Good-Bye, WCHS

Today I began packing my classroom. We are currently in our Finals week, so things are pretty much finished. Tomorrow is the last final (English!), and Monday is our end-of-the-year faculty meeting. After that, it's just a matter of turning in my key and saying good-bye.

As I was taking down my bulletin boards, novel posters, and student work, I remembered the days not too long ago when I was putting up those items. It has been three years since I began working at WCHS, and even though three years seems like a short amount of time, I have grown so much. I came in a very green teacher, and I am leaving a little wiser and a lot stronger.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took those very first days of school three years ago.





I thought I would take a moment to acknowledge a few select people in my life who helped me get through my first years of teaching.


1. My husband: Out of everyone, he has been the one who has let me cry, complain, and rejoice over the trials and triumphs of teaching. He has stayed up late with me when I'm grading papers, awakened early with me to make me my lunch and coffee, and spent hours at school with me putting up speakers, posters, and anything else I needed. He has been my foundation.


2. My mom: The greatest thing about my mom is no matter what is going on, she thinks I'm the best, the brightest, and the prettiest (which, when it comes down to it, is all that matters, right?) All I had to do was begin to tell her about a frustrating situation, and she was already on my side. We all need that.


3. Kelly: I met Kelly one of my first days of setting up my classroom three years ago. She came in to get an easel that the previous teacher in my room said she could have. The embarrassing part was I had already begun using the thing! We instantly had a bond, and it's history from there. Kelly had just finished her first year when we met, so she helped me know what to expect and pretty much held my hand through it all. Together, we have become stronger and more effective teachers--and have also become best friends.


4. Belva: Belva was my Master Teacher during student teaching and also has been my Department Head these past three years. Belva is an incredible teacher and has inspired me to be excellent and creative in my own teaching. I don't know what I would have done without her help and guidance.


5. All of my friends and family: Whenever they asked me what was going on in my life, my answer always included something about teaching. They have listened, supported, and prayed...even when they perhaps did not want to.


6. And of course, my Lord: Just when I had no strength left, God would give me the ability to get one more stack of research papers graded, make one more phone call, or plan one more lesson. God's grace has been upon me, for indeed I would not have been able to get through a week--let alone three years--without Him.


On to the next job...teaching 8th Grade!!! (I'll post more about my new job later.)

Comments

Popular Posts