Potato Gloup

That is the term Robby and I coined to describe the potato soup I made yesterday. It was tasty, but its consistency was exactly like glue. I know this can happen from over-processing the potatoes, so that's apparently what I did. After a little research, I've found a couple of tips to help steer me clear of making gloup again.

1. Rinse the potatoes thoroughly in cold water using a colander. Don't let them sit in the water.
2. Make sure the potatoes are as fresh as possible.
3. Don't over-cook them.
4. Work them as little as possible using a potato masher.

So, I believe I was zero for four on the above list - I rinsed in hot water (because the cold water takes too long), my taters were old, I let them boil forever, and I used a blender to process some of them. In my defense, the recipe I used said to do the last thing.

Oh well. Our cold weather still is coming our way, so I have to time to fix the gloup.

Comments

  1. Once again, I say stick blender! Have you made potato and leek soup before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. last thanksgiving a friend said he had been watching food network or something like that and to get perfect mashed potatoes (or cooked potatoes i suppose) take them out half way through the boiling process and rinse them in cold water. seriously - best mashed potatoes ever!!! it is supposed to help prevent them from absorbing too much water and getting starchy (gluey). better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't overcook the potatoes and they are, when peeled, soft but still mealy, then running them through a blender should be fine, as long as you don't run for too long. The potatoes should mash and fluff up but not become gooey. Do NOT use a food processor, however. That is a sure-fire route to gloup.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts