DIY: Felt Flower Embellishments

I am a throw pillow fanatic. I love them. I feel like they are able to instantly update a room and add a little something extra. However, I don't love the price tags that often accompany the ones that have interesting fabrics and textures. I was thrilled, then, when I found this easy way to update some of the plain pillows I have now from Design Sponge (an absolutely fantastic home design blog).

Read on to see how I took these simple cream pillows and made them much more interesting and stylish.
I began by purchasing 1/2 yard of felt (green and yellow, to go with my nature-inspired decor). I folded the felt to an appropriate size for a flower petal, and cut out a petal shape, keeping the fold intact. I followed this a number of times so that I had six cut-outs for a total of 12 petals. I then cut smaller petals, about half the size and number, to lay in the center. As I continued, I varied the number of petals, as well as the sizes of the flowers.
Once my flowers were arranged as I liked, I took a needle and thread and sewed the middle of it to keep it intact. I also found that tacking a few places toward the top of the petals (hiding the thread, of course) helped the flower keep its shape. After that, I sewed a pin backing to the back of it. This makes for easy change and removal of the embellishment.
Then came the exciting part: pinning my flowers to my pillows for an instant update. The final product:
My living room feels a bit brighter and happier with these cheery pillows, and it all was done for about $9.00.

Comments

  1. Very Cool! I like it with the red as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I have not started ANY of my projects yet... I need some time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! So cute and seems super easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I love this idea!! You're so creative. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts