Monday, May 2, 2011

A Bit of Chocolate Pudding

This evening, out of nowhere a craving for something rich and chocolatey hit me!  As I was searching for a recipe online, I stumbled across Smitten Kitchen.  The author/cook gave a recipe for a simple chocolate pudding, which I made and adjusted a bit, to suit the fact that I had no good chocolate, only three Hershey milk chocolate bars that were over a year old and a wee bit of cocoa powder and semi-sweets.


I fell in love with both the recipe and the site, and I think you will, too.  Check it out, and try the chocolate pudding recipe.  If you want to make the adjustments I did, you can do the following:

1.  Mix 1/4 cup cornstarch (or a bit less), 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
2.  Place over a double-boiler and slowly whisk in three cups milk.  Then take it off the boiler!  No matter how long that thing sat there, it did not thicken!  I finally gave up and poured the mixture into the saucepan, cooked it on med-low, and soon I had a nice thick pudding.
3.  Remove from heat and stir in a bunch of chocolate, whatever you have.  I probably stirred in 8 ounces between the Hershey bars and some old semi-sweets.  The recipe calls for 6 ounces of high quality bittersweet chocolate.
4.  Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla, a couple tablespoons of butter, and perhaps a bit more salt.  (I like it a little "salty.")
5.  Eat huge spoonfulls straight out of the bowl, then cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to cool and share.

2 comments:

  1. Can, that looks like beautiful pudding. I really want to my make my own sometime, but I am a little intimidated. Once the Tollhouse are gone, I am going to try vanilla wafers...then, maybe I will get to pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate pudding has always been a favorite snack, but I've never made it other than from a box...that looks so yummy! I'm definitely going to have to make some.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little love! (It makes my day!)